Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Misiones
January 10, 2006


So after my few hours sleep, I woke up only to pack for this trip that I was taking on the 2nd. Ryan, Caitlin, Emily and I were all invited to attend the St. George´s College Misiones trip. St. George´s is a Holy Cross high school that rumor has has a lot of pull. It has a beautiful campus, about 2 thousand students, and a lot of Chile´s political leaders have attended this school. Its kinda cool to see the direct impact that the Congregation of Holy Cross has on Chile.

Anyway this trip was about 10 days long. I got to go to Ñancuan with 20 others. My students ranged from 14-18 and are some of the most amazing people. This kids are high schoolers and if I would have past them on the streets I would have thought that because of their maturity, opinions, and talents would have been college students.

A basic day of Misiones included the following:
7:30 morning prayer
8:00 Breakfast
9:00-1:30 Missioning (going around the community and just talking to the people and praying with them it they wanted)
1:30-3:30 - Lunch and break time
3:30-5:30 - Niños (did activities with children)
5:30-7:00 - Onces (snack time)
7:00-8:00 - Daily Mass
8:00-9:30 - Dinner
10:00-?? - Evening Activities
1:30- people have to been in their rooms TRYING to go to sleep.

The picture is of us one day missioning. Since we had to go walk to people´s houses, it took forever. Mainly cause we were in the campo and no one lives close to each other. So we were walking several kilometers to each house. The other fact is that I swear, there had to be at least 4 cows to every person. So one day while missioning, Drew got the great idea to spread the Good Word to the natives - whom just happened to be cows at that moment. Yall might not find it that funny...but we found it to be hilarious.

After ten days of hanging around these students I have learned a lot of slang. I am getting some of the common Chilean phrases and even saying a few jokes. Its because of these kids, that I have decided "to apply" (which means asked Father Pepé, the Principal of St. George´s, who happened to be one of the leaders for my group) for a job. He couldnt directly give me anything...but somehow the opportunity has fallen in my lap to teach an English class at the high school for 4 hours a week, and I have accepted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:

Powered by Blogger