Friday, November 04, 2005

Nuestra Casa

After two months of Spanish classes, our profesores decided that it was about time that we, the students, finally put our training to practice. So, today, each student was given the opportunity to pick a Cochabamba visitation site. Some of my colleagues went to: the hospital, the campo, women shelters, and other various places.

Ryan and I chose to visit “Nuestra Casa” an orphanage for girls, along with three of our profesores (Teresita, Oscar, and Karla). This house opened its doors to 8 wonderful little girls on October 7, which range from ages 6 to 14. We arrived at 8:30 AM, while the girls where cleaning the house. Each individual had their respective household chore. Between the 8 of them, they finished in no time. Then the games began.

The first game we played was called (my SLT buddies should know this) All My Neighbors. Basically you have one less chair than the number of people playing the game, and one individual in the middle. Then person in the middle then say something along the lines of “I love all my neighbors who have shoes on.” Then everyone with shoes gets up and runs to another chair, and the person without a chair goes in the middle and it starts all over. However, once you got stuck in the middle three times you had to give up something that you had as a bribe to keep playing. After about half an hour of playing, we were all anxious to retrieve our items. However, before each person received their item, they had to pay a punishment (which the girls chose) in order to retrieve it. Ryan had to act like a roach to earn his watch, whereas I was given “las siete cruzes.” Basically, someone went around making the sign of the cross on 7 areas, and I had to kiss them.

Our second game we played something like hot potato, but of course with a Bolivian twist. Basically in our group of 10 people, two individuals had a scarf. One scarf had one knot, and the second scarf had two knots. Then on the count of three, both individuals had to undo the knots and then tie the number of knots their scarf had at the beginning. The unlucky individual who got caught with both scarves had to do some punishment.

Between games, the dining area transformed into a dance club and the place was bouncing. These girls would put music on and the dances started coming out. Three of the girls even put on a dance performance for us. We all danced for at least an hour. Ryan and I got some really dance lessons and by the end of the day we were felt like professionals. We are currently thinking of skipping the Thursday afternoon dance classes at the Instituto and just go to Nuestra Casa for our lessons.

Today was an awesome experience. I haven’t had this much fun in a while. However, about an hour before I left, I was reminded of the purpose of this Hogar. Unlike other hogares (that are more like orphanages) this place, Nueatra Casa, was different. These 8 beautiful and sweet girls were sent here because they were all victims of some type of abuse. This KILLED me. As I looked at one of the girls, I suddenly realized that the marks on her arms weren’t marks at all, but scars. I lost my breath and felt a pain in my chest, as if someone was stabbing my heart. I didn’t, and still don’t, understand who would hurt these wonderful girls. The only thing that kept me together was knowing that in this place, Nuestra Casa, these girls are protected and loved. Here these girls are loved by 7 other sisters and their Tio (used more as a title) Edward. They are part of a loving caring sweet family.

As we left, the girls latched on to us five visitors. Each one of them asked us to stay a little longer, or to come back tomorrow. Unfortunately I won’t be able to go back tomorrow, but I am going to try my hardest to stop by on a weekly basis to visit these little ANGELS.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats an amazingly hard sounding experience. I hope you do get to see those angels every week. They need as much love as they can get, and I know you have love in your heart to give.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:

Powered by Blogger