Monday, October 10, 2005


What´s the difference between a moshpit and a Bolivian line?

Alright so I went to see the Kumbia Kings in concert and it was awesome. This was one of the best concerts I had been to in a while. These guys had so much energy, that they were able to get about 6 thousand people up and dancing during the whole thing. It was cool. The concert was cool, but I would like to reflect on the expierence prior to the concert. So down here in Bolivia when you buy tickets to something, its basically just a way into the arena. For example, at this concert you had the floor seat, a standing area, and then the stadium seats. My ticket basically allowed me to go into the proper entrance for my area and that’s it. There are no assigned seats whatsoever, so you have to get in line early to get good seats. So the doors to the place supposedly opened at 6 PM, and Jessy (my Bolivian sister-in-law) wanted to leave the house around 5. I thought that would be okay, but when 5 o’clock came around, and I was engulfed in the Astros game, we waited till about 6:30 to leave. By the time we got there, the line to get into the stadium was HUGE. We started walking in line, only to realize that the line was about 1000 people long. So instead of going to the end, when did what Bolivians do, we cut in line. I don’t know how we did it, but we were lucky enough to weasel in front of at least 600 people. As we got in line, people in the back started pushing and suddenly the line transformed into a moshpit. I got plastered between people. Then on a different occasion, I was waving my hand in front of Jessi’s face in order to get her attention, when I got thrown forward and my arm flew right into a soldier’s face. Opps! After about an hour of fighting our way to the front of the line, we got through the fences, but still outside the stadium and another line formed. As the doors opened, from the corner of my eye, I saw about 400 people rush the field next to the stadium and start jumping the fence. Some people made it over, some people played leap frog over the soldiers, and some got stuck on the fence. It was the craziest thing by far. I mean it seemed like there was about to be a riot. Once I got into my seat, I had to wait for another 2 and a half hours before the concert started. Then finally at 10:30 on a Sunday night, the Kumbia Kings made their way to the stage…and the crowd went wild.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Roy-
I'm so glad you're having a great time! I can't wait to get to Chile some day and have some adventures of my own! For now, I imagine I will read your blog faithfully and live vicariously through you! :) -Meghann

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:

Powered by Blogger